Stacy, the original blog architect is back. Lately, I've been harassing the Owens more to help me than I've been actually helping them! From getting me coffee to getting elbow-deep in my sink sludge, I think I've overused the Owen card. To make it a little more shameful, I FINALLY roped Rachel into swinging by my house for some conversation and coffee. Mark did my dishes (?!) while I re-enacted the seemingly important details of my silly life over the last few Rachel-deprived weeks while she played along and asked questions to encourage me. At the end, I could tell Rachel was seriously tired and needed to leave. "I'm really sorry we didn't get to talk about your cancer," I said. But she said she was actually tired of talking so much about it, so it made me feel a little less sheepish. Plus, I'm pretty sure I got her to laugh pretty hard, which is always a solid goal of mine in any conversation.
Laughing may be a little more necessary than usual for our sweet friend. Rachel could be doing better. This has been going on FORever, particularly if you are Rachel or any member of her family. The meds Rachel is on, the therapy, the chemo, the chemicals they pump into her to kill the bad thing that invaded her, are not so awesome for her general health. Stomach problems, nail problems, pain issues, some serious numbness that will hopefully be completely reversible etc have been the by-product of the help she is receiving. The drugs even sort of take a toll on the emotional/mental state of a person. Rachel, who laughs infectiously, who talks contagiously, seems pretty out of it. Don't get me wrong, I know she's in there, but she looks and acts a bit steam-rolled. Doctors are now looking to change medications or alter some dosage. Please pray that this will help the pain, reverse the numbness and positively affect the neuropathy.
As usual there are the doctor visits, the tests, the treatments. The most recent was an ultrasound that was intended to give a picture of what the status of Rachel's cancer is. However, Rachel has a the kind of cancer that is not a defined lump as most breast cancers are. So the ultrasound, a stressful, time-consuming ordeal, could not detect the live cancer cells from the ones that are already dead. So, on to the next test! An MRI. I'm sure Rachel is thrilled. On the other hand, we thank God for modern medicine, for the ability to detect and treat this horrible disease at all. Please pray for positive and clear results on the soon-to-be scheduled MRI test.
Finally, in good news, the Owen's family is coping pretty well. There are lots of happy moments. With the kids at school, the scheduling is eased, but with Luke off to kindergarten for the first time, some empty-nest-ness kind of invades that quiet house. Pray that Rachel get the rest she needs during the day and be refreshed to make the most of the after-school and evening hours. Pray that her energy is a bit higher and that her spirits are encouraged. I think the overwhelming conversations centered around the cancer may be a bit much for Rachel and family at this point. Let's continue to pray for healing and encourage our friend in whatever way is on your heart. Also, pray that as the Owens encounter some new decisions that can affect their family life, they be given peace, wisdom and confidence.
Rachel, we are praying for you, friend! May the peace of God be with you, may his hand be over you and around you, may his healing touch you, may his strength sustain you and may his mercy cover you. You are loved, by all of us and especially by God, who set all things into being.
Final note, next week Sunday is the Susan G. Komen walk. If you feel called to contribute to this cause see the link from a previous post for making a contribution to her team, Rachel's Raiders.
I am a neighbor who is still getting to know the Owens family, but what I do know is whenever I talk to Rachel, she is warm and friendly and as others have said FULL of laughter. It is always a nice conversation! When I see her driving down the street, she looks over with a big smile and wave and I love it. Lots of prayers for you and your family--I feel and hope that things will get better for you soon!
ReplyDelete